Is CFLI for you?
- Do you want to give more attention to growing in your relationship with God?
- Would you like to be equipped to serve others more effectively?
- Would you like to take a year to grow and explore your calling and gifting?
Christian Fellowship Leadership Institute is designed for those between the ages of 18-29 who have a heart for ministry and want to receive experience, mentoring, and training in the context of the local church.
Check out the details below or click one of the buttons below to apply now.
What you can expect to gain
Our training program focuses on equipping you to love God and others with all your heart, with all your mind, and with all your strength. You can expect to develop a deeper relationship with Jesus as you are shaped by his grace and are equipped to minister that same grace to others (heart), grow in your knowledge of the Bible, theology, and understanding of discipleship and ministry (mind), and gain practical ministry experience (strength).
More specifically, you can expect to receive:
- Growth in your spiritual gifting and leadership abilities
- Guidance and instruction in developing devotional habits
- Comradery with other participants in CFLI as you go through the program together
- Exposure to the writings of many influential Christian leaders, from John Bunyan to John Piper, C. S. Lewis to N. T. Wright
- Foundational instruction in biblical studies, theology, personal spiritual formation, and ministry and discipleship
- A deeper love and appreciation for the local church
- Opportunities to learn and be equipped to minister to people effectively
- Individual and small group mentoring and discipleship
- Evaluation of your gifts, character, calling, strengths, and areas for growth
Overview of Participation
- 8 to 10 hours per week
- Core Training Program*
- Hands-on ministry experience
- 1 year commitment with an optional 2nd year
- $300 program fee* + cost of books (approx. $100-$150) *Scholarships are available
- Designed for those who work or are college students, single or married
Core Training Program
All apprentices will participate in the same core training program.
- Classroom instruction (2 hour blocks in late afternoon or early evening, every other week)
- 2-4 hours of weekly reading and homework
- Monthly book discussions
- Mentoring in small groups or one-on-one
- Meaningful opportunities to work alongside church staff in planning, developing, shaping and leading important church events and ministries
- Feedback and evaluation of gifting, character, strengths, skills, and areas of growth
- Attending the Global Leadership Summit (local conference simulcast)
- Team building with other participants (Escape room, game nights, etc.)
- Global Leadership Summit (National leadership conference simulcast)
- Times of prayer, worship, personal ministry, and team building with other CFLI apprentices.
Sample of Coursework
The core training program is divided into trimesters (Summer, Fall, and Winter/Spring). Each trimester will consist of 8 biweekly class sessions, and we will focus on two topics per trimester (see the specifics below).
We ask all participants in CFLI to commit to one year of training. However, there is far more we would like to teach and impart than can be covered in a single year. Therefore, we have designed the core program as a two-year program. The second year is optional, but if possible, we strongly encourage participants to consider participating in both years.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long is the internship/leadership training program?
CFLI is a 1-year commitment (June 1-May 6), with an optional (but encouraged) second year of training.
How much does CFLI cost?
There is a $300 program fee. In addition to program fees, all CFLI participants will be responsible for the cost of books. Scholarships are available.
Who is CFLI for?
CFLI is designed for those who are considering a call to full-time ministry and would like to explore their calling and gifting, as well as for those who simply desire to give attention to growing spiritually and learning to serve others more effectively in ministry through the local church. The program is designed primarily for those between the ages of 18-30 years of age, though older participants may also find the training useful and are encouraged to apply if interested.
Can I work or attend school while participating in CFLI?
Yes. The apprentice program is specifically designed to allow those who work or attend school full-time to participate in our core leadership training program.
What kind of hands on training and ministry opportunities will I receive through CFLI?
The specific hands on opportunities and ministry involvement may vary depending on a participant’s interests and gifting. Our desire is to provide meaningful ministry opportunities for every participant that allows them to learn about, evaluate, and grow in their gifting, as they grow in servant-leadership and impact lives within the church and community. We have opportunities for ministry involvement, ministry development, and leadership in all aspects of church life (children, youth, college, elderly, worship, multi-media, small groups, discipleship, creative team, and much more.)
The application process includes submitting an application, a pastoral interview, and a background check.
2017 Program Applications are due by May 1, 2017. Program begins June 1, 2017 and continues through May 6, 2018. Space is limited.